Which distro do you use?

WarFox

Distros  

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Which distro is your distro of choice and why?

I'll go first. I use Debian stable. Well, technically Debian testing, but buster will be moved to stable in ~1-2 months, for what I use it for, it was stable enough to upgrade early. Why do I use Debian? Debian is boring. It isn't exciting, it is slow to progress. I don't get the latest and greatest features. However, all of this I see as a plus. Because Debian is boring and slow to progress, it is extremely stable. It offers one of the best selections of software from their repositories. I have not had any package break due to the packages being so well tested before being released as stable. The stability and plethora of software make it easy to get work done and not have to worry about keeping an updated system. Also, if I don't go a week or two without updating, it does not cause packages to start breaking.

Edited by WarFox

I actually haven't used Linux all that much. I've had it on a few VMs, and I've used it in many of my classes, but it's never been my primary OS. I'm thinking about building a desktop over the summer though, and if I do, then I'm extremely likely to put Linux on it. 

As for what distro I'm likely to put on it, I'm not sure. I've tried Ubuntu, Debian, OpenSuse, and a little Slackware. I've used Ubuntu by far the most, and I like it well enough. I remember a lot of people on here used to use Arch Linux back in the day, but I've heard that it's not particularly friendly to beginners.

I used to use Arch then to. Arch has gotten a lot better. All the guys I know who run it as a daily driver say it hardly breaks. Main thing when it comes to choosing arch is understanding how the AUR works. The packages are newer than on most distros, not always fully tested. A big thing to keep in mind, the quality control of what you get from arch repos isn't as good as Debian or OpenSuse. A year or two ago there were some issues of malicous code in arch packages. So that is something just to keep in mind, you can still go Arch, it is great, but it is something to consider depending on the purpose and work you plan to do. I like something really stable that I don't have to worry about and can get work done on, so Debian is my go to.

If you let me know what your kind of looking for in a distro, maybe I can point you to a few others to take a look at.

I'm not quire sure that I know enough about what differentiates them to really know what I'm looking for in one to be honest. I'm pretty likely to end up going for Ubuntu I think, but it'll be a while before I even build the thing.

• 2 months later...

I switched from Ubuntu to Arch  and it seem pretty neat and stable for me, I also like the challenge of assembling packages of my need so, so far so good!

I use arch because I like the clean minimalistic install. It doesn't add stuff if you didn't ask for it and doesn't make assumptions regarding what you need. But for usage I think I could really go with any dist. I need linux and a terminal for work. Don't think there is any dist where I couldn't install the things I need.

• 3 months later...